Monday, July 28, 2014

Debunking Musical Sterotypes with Banana_elephant

Hey, Banana_elephant here for my last Music Monday! Honestly, I'm not sad about going on to Travel Tuesday because I had such a hard time thinking what to write about most of the time. Anyways, here I'll be debunking the stereotypes of 5 different music genres.
I'm sure at least some of you have heard of MyMusic, a YouTube show made by the FineBros. The show is about a guy, nicknamed Metal for his like of Metal music, coming to work for a website called MyMusic. All of the other employees each have a musical nickname based off of what music they listen to. Everyone except for Intern 2 that is, who everyone hates, especially their boss Indie. The show has a very large fanbase, and had just finished season two back in January. I, as well as many of the MyMusicians, hope the cast comes back someday for one last season.

1.) Country
Coming from where I come from, a lot of people are obsessed with country music. Seriously, obsessed. The biggest stereotype here is if you live in the country, you like country. This is in fact not true at all. I can name plenty of people I know, all who live far from town, who don't like country. In fact, a few despise it.

2.) Rock
A lot of people think that rock is for people who wear leather jackets and combat boots, but that is not right (actually, I wear leather jackets and combat boots, but I like country and pop). I have a friend who loves rock, and she wears frilly things, plays the trumpet, and reads a lot of books. Most people don't even know she likes rock, and most certainly would never guess it.

3.) Pop
Okay, let's just get this one over with. Pop is not only for girls. Crazy, right? There are several people that I'm acquaintances with (not exactly friends), and totally believe this. One for our close friends here at the Brick Wall really likes Katy Perry (Pop) and is a guy! I don't understand at all the origin of this stereotype, and I also don't understand why people would stand with it. 

4.) Punk
Well, this one might be hard too. Punk is not just for people who have multiple piercings and stay out late partying. I for one, hate partying, and I listen to some Punk music (5 Seconds of Summer, but seriously just go along with it). There really isn't any more to say, I guess this stereotype it just that simply debunked. 

5.) Hip-Hop
Let me get this to you straight, hip-hop is not just for "gangsters" (?). Quotation marks meaning people who wear gold chains, snap-backs, and big jackets (oh look, a stereotype). If you've seen MyMusic, you'd understand what I mean. Anyways, there are a fair amount of people I know who like hip-hop (a bit, it's not like they're obsessed or anything) and guess what? None of them even own a snap-back.

Some parts of these stereotypes may be true, but not all. yes, someone who wear leather jackets may like rock, but not all. See you all next week for Travel Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment