Sunday, May 24, 2015

not_luna_lovegood's Top 10 Dancing With The Stars Season 20 Dances

So, the Dancing With The Stars ended its 20th season this past Tuesday, and it was the 10th anniversary of the show. I started watching this season because of a certain couple (keep reading to find out who) and I became hooked. There were so many great dances and great dancers this season. Having just finished watching the season finale on my DVR, I have decided to count down my top 10 favorite routines from this season. Let me tell you, this was not an easy task, and this is my opinion, so don't hate! Lastly, I will provide links to each dance so you can see them.

10. Riker Lynch & Allison Holker, Week 10 *Fusion Challenge* 
I just saw this dance about a half hour ago, and it was my favorite of the three "fusion" routines. The dance is set to MKTO's song "Classic" (which I still love, even though it came out around a year ago) and melds the salsa and quickstep styles together effortlessly. Riker and Allison were easily one of my favorite couples this season and I'm proud of them for taking 2nd. I thought they performed this dance effortlessly, despite having a mere 24 hours to prepare it.
Link: Riker Lynch & Allison "Salsa/Quickstep"- Dancing With The Stars 2015 Finale

 9. Riker Lynch & Allison Holker, Week 9 
Two dances from Riker & Allison in a row! I can't help it. I love this pairing, and we got some pretty awesome routines from them. During Week 9, they performed this powerful contemporary routine to "Work Song" by Hozier. I really like the intimate feel of this dance, and I thought the dancing was amazing.
Link:  Riker Lynch & Allison - Contemporary - Dancing With The Stars Season 20 Week 9 (5-11-15)

8. Nastia Liukin, Sasha Farber, & Derek Hough, Week 8 
Nastia and Derek were not originally one of my favorite couples, but I grew to love them together as the season went on. This routine, a jive set to "Diane Young" by Vampire Weekend, was one of my favorites from them. I really enjoyed the theme, choreography, costumes, and sets. This routine was so much fun for me to watch.
 Link:  Trios: Nastia, Sasha, & Derek's Jive - Dancing With the Stars

7. Rumer Willis & Val Chmerkovskiy, Week 5 
In case you missed it, Rumer & Val won this season of Dancing With The Stars, so congrats to them! I loved the bond these two had and how grateful Rumer was that she had the chance to be on the show. My favorite dance from them was definitely their Samba on Disney Night to The Little Mermaid's "Poor Unfortunate Souls". Rumer decided not to be a princess like she thought everyone else did and decided to dress up as Ursula, the evil sea witch. In my opinion, this decision worked out for the better, as the pair brought to life one of my favorite Disney villain songs from one of my favorite Disney movies! Also, the costumes and set pieces were excellent.
Link: Rumer & Val's Samba- Dancing With The Stars

6. Willow Shields & Mark Ballas, Week 7
You know how I said that there was a certain couple that made me really watch this season? Well, being a huge fan of the Hunger Games series, Willow & Mark were that couple. This was one of their last dances together thanks to their shockingly early elimination (which I am still mad about, because I believe they should have at least made it to the finale), and it didn't disappoint. In this futuristic Jazz routine, which was set to "Electric Feel" by MGMT, they play probably the coolest ninja duo ever. This routine was just...I have no words to describe how much I enjoyed it.
Link: Willow Shields & Mark Ballas "Jazz" Dancing with the Stars Season 20 Week 7

5. Nastia Liukin & Sasha Farber, Week 7
Kicking off my top 5 is this ultra-joyous routine from week 7. This week, Nastia's original partner, Derek Hough, was injured and replaced by Sasha Farber, but he still choreographed this dance. This modern-day Charleston is set to the earworm song "Honey, I'm Good" by Andy Grammer, who actually performed it live for the routine. I like this dance because of its fun, joyful feel.
Link: Nastia Liukin & Sasha "Charleston" Dancing with the Stars Season 20 Week 7

4. Nastia Liukin & Derek Hough, Week 9 *Judges Choice*
For the Judges Choice round, one of the judges was in charge of a coaching and styling dance for each of the couples. Len Goodman (the "tough judge" as I call him) helped create this beautiful Viennese Waltz for Nastia & Derek. The song that this dance was set to is "Fall For You" by Leela James, who, like Andy Grammer, performed it live for the dance. The Viennese Waltz casts Derek as a younger version of Len, and it gave me lots of feels, especially in the final moments where Len does a little dancing. Judge Julianne Hough said about the dance, "I think that was the most special dance I’ve ever seen," and it was my favorite out of all of Nastia & Derek's routines.
Link:  Nastia & Derek - Viennese Waltz - Dancing With The Stars Season 20 Week 9 Semifinals (5-11-15)

3. Riker Lynch & Allison Holker, Week 5 
We're getting down to the wire here with Riker & Allison's Disney Week Paso Doble at #3. This dance is Pirates of the Caribbean themed and is set to "He's A Pirate" from Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. This was definitely my favorite from Disney Week. I love the overall look of it, with amazing costumes and props. The choreography is awesome, and Riker & Allison execute this dance perfectly. They also reprised it during Week 10 and did a great job.
Link: Riker & Allison's Paso Doble - Dancing with the Stars


2. Noah Galloway & Sharna Burgess, Week 10 *Freestyle*
My runner-up for my favorite dance of Season 20 is performed by Noah Galloway, the army veteran who inspired countless people with his story and choreographed by his partner, Sharna Burgess. This routine is so emotional and inspiring, and was hands-down my favorite of the three freestyles. The set and look of this dance is amazing, and the music (a mashup of "Titanium" by David Guetta featuring Sia and "Fix You" by Coldplay) works incredibly well. Noah & Sharna took 3rd place overall, so congratulations to them!
Link: Noah & Sharna's Freestyle - Dancing With the Stars

And my #1 favorite dance of Season 20 of Dancing With The Stars is...(drumroll please)...

1. Willow Shields & Mark Ballas, Week 4
In my opinion, this Contemporary routine is too perfect for words, and ever since I saw it, I knew it would be my #1. First of all, it's Hunger Games-themed. As I previously mentioned, I am a major Hunger Games fangirl. In this dance, Willow, Mark, and several backup dancers have their own Hunger Games, and it was my favorite moment of the season. The choreography is not some of the best of the season, but the pure emotion Willow, Mark, and everyone else involved put in is just breathtaking. The song they dance to is "Atlas" by Coldplay, which is an awesome song by my favorite band and is from an awesome movie (it's on the soundtrack for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire). The Most Memorable Year week was not one of my favorite themed weeks this season, but this dance made it worth watching and then some. Yet another reason why I love this dance so much is because Willow & Mark were in jeopardy following the previous week, but this dance made everyone forget that. Lastly, Willow is 14 years old, but she had the maturity of people far older than her, and you can't help but love her for that. In my opinion, this routine is by far the best of season 20 and was absolutely unforgettable.
Link: Willow Shields & Mark - Contemporary - Dancing With The Stars - Season 20 Week 4 (4-6-15)

That wraps up my top 10! All videos belong to their respective owners, not me. I know I may have forgot some dances, so feel free to tell me in the comments which Season 20 routines were your favorite! This has been a great season of Dancing With The Stars, and here's to another in the fall! I'm not_luna_lovegood, and I will write again soon!

not_luna_lovegood (aka Looney)


No comments:

Post a Comment